Especially when its the central pipe that connects to every other line through the house. So, today we found out just how horrible a job, aka a “Mickey” job, that was done on patching defects on the house. Apparently, the bathtub pipe had been leaking for who knows how long… so much so that dry rot had nearly eaten away many of the joists and beams. It’s a friggin structure issue. MEH. However, we are assured that this while an issue won’t be a killer issue.
Here’s a picture of said water damage that corroded beneath the bath tub and laundry room floor. If you’ll notice.. that little beam at the bottom will have to be reinforced. The plumbing needs to be re-done which we hadn’t even calculated into our project at all. Which brings me to … FACTOR IN 10% additional cost to any remodel project for stupid things like this that come up. MEH.
Ok, but aside from all that … Trinidad, Sal, and crew just wrapped up the 2nd real day at work. Like I said in my earlier post, day one was demolition. They basically took the back wall from the kitchen to laundry room down and removed all the plaster from the kitchen sink area because… well the water pipe for the sink currently runs through the wall which is a big no no for modern day usage (imagine a pipe busting or needing fixing… you’d have to open a wall!!) Since we are already replacing the sink and counters, the back wall for the sink had to be ripped out. Also, all old lighting fixtures were removed (see the top ceiling) to make way for… recessed lighting!!
Here’s the before…
Here’s Day ONE after…. flooring removed, back wall removed, sink wall removed, ceiling lights removed
Another look at the kitchen wall at DAY 2. Tim removed the cabinets and sink himself. I is proud. :)
So basically, at this time.. it’s looking like a whole house remodel. While I’m there busy flipping out, Trinidad and Sal are a dual of super awesome people re-assuring me that it looks crazier than it actually is. I dunno, still looks crazy to me.
You see this wall here? It connects the kitchen to living room. Yeah, that’s going to be changed to a breakfast bar / counter. And you see that hole up in the ceiling? It used to be the vent for the stove. It got re-framed so it’s flush with the ceiling. The whole gas line will be moved from here to the opposite corner. Again, we’re still one Day 2 here and the amount of work already done is AMAZING.
We also had to remove an old heater /radiator unit that was built into the floorboards in the living room right at the entrance of the hallway.. wtf right?? Anyway.. this is it .. .like digging up fungus or something.
Here’s the laundry room before… as you can tell, there is a water heater there that has now been removed and moved to the outside of the house (so in case gas leaks, it doesn’t leak into the house). The wall that is attached is attached to the kitchen. That wall is the wall you see come down in the previous pictures above. This is the before.
That wood platform? Yeah, when that was ripped up.. what they found was a bunch of rotted wood which essentially meant that all had to be replaced. ALL. MEH. Thankfully, these guys are sooo awesome that they had saved all the wood from our deck and re purposed them for our laundry room floor. They keep telling me… it takes a long time for a tree to generate x amount of wood, we need to recycle as much as we can. I LOVE THAT!!
All the saved wood below. Also, Trinidad wanted me to take a picture of the liquid nails which not only will serve to glue a door down, it acts as a sealant as well.
OH! And guess what. The back of the house cannot be open.. and the back needed to be framed, so Sal went out and found us the French patio doors we’ve been wanting! It’s steel … maintenance free!! :) Also, it’s energy efficient. Again, awesomeness x 1000000 for such proactive contractors! Here’s a pic of the patio door being installed. You can see that the deck has been ripped away for a new deck later on. Oh! Also, I learned something.. joists are the beams that run across the ceiling, studs are the beams that run top to bottom, and rafts are the beams on the floors. oui oui!
Mounting and making the door flush is a tedious and meticulous job. Any little tilts makes it such that the door cannot close correctly. This is a view from the back. Originally, we were going to go with wood siding, but after some discussions, we all decided that stucco’ing the laundry room wall would be the best and cheapest.
That’s it for today! It’s amazing how much work has already been done!
-all flooring removed from all rooms
-water heater removed
-kitchen everything removed
-patio door installed
-laundry room floor reframed
-most crown moldings and baseboards removed
-wall from kitchen to laundry room removed
-back wall reframed